ALVESCO (ciclesonide), is a prescription inhaled corticosteroid for maintenance treatment of persistent asthma as prophylactic therapy in adult and adolescent patients 12 years of age and older.
† Clinical significance of this non-clinical data is unknown.
Decreases in bone mineral density have been observed with long-term administration of inhaled corticosteroids. Patients with major risk factors for decreased bone mineral content should be monitored.
Please see accompanying full Prescribing Information.
1. Balzar S, Chu HW, Strand M, Wenzel S. Relationship of small airway chymase-positive mast cells and lung function in severe asthma. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2005; 171:431-439.
2. Taha RA, Minshall EM, Miotto D, et al. Eotaxin and monocyte chemotactic protein-4 mRNA expression in small airways of asthmatic and nonasthmatic individuals. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 1999;103:476-483.
3. Leach CL, Davidson PJ, Boudreau RJ. Improved airway targeting with the CFC-free HFA–beclomethasone metered-dose inhaler compared with CFC–beclomethasone. Eur Respir J. 1998;12:1346-1353.
4. Cohen J, Douma WR, ten Hacken NH, Vonk JM, Oudkerk M, Postma DS. Ciclesonide improves measures of small airway involvement in asthma [published online February 20, 2008]. Eur Respir J. doi: 10.1183/09031936.00082407.
5. Martin RJ. Therapeutic signifi cance of distal airway inflammation in asthma. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2002;109:S447-S460.
6. Yang TT, Li S, Wyka B, Kenyon D. Drug delivery performance of the mometasone furoate dry powder inhaler. J Aerosol Med. 2001;14:487-494. (MMAD was calculated using data on p 492.)
7. Cripps A, Riebe M, Schulze M, Woodhouse R. Pharmaceutical transition to non-CFC pressurized metered dose inhalers. Respir Med. 2000;94(suppl B):S3-S9.
8. Leach CL, Bethke TD, Boudreau RJ, et al. Two-dimensional and three-dimensional imaging show ciclesonide has high lung deposition and peripheral distribution: a nonrandomized study in healthy volunteers. J Aerosol Med. 2006;19:117-126.
9. Newman S, Salmon A, Nave R, Drollmann A. High lung deposition of 99mTc-labeled ciclesonide administered via HFA-MDI to patients with asthma. Respir Med. 2006; 100:375-384.
10. Rohatagi S, Derendorf H, Zech K, Nave R, Banerji D. PK/PD of inhaled corticosteroids: the risk/benefit of inhaled ciclesonide [abstract]. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2003;111(suppl 2): S218.
11. Clark A, Borgström L. In vitro testing of pharmaceutical aerosols and predicting lung deposition from in vitro measurements. In: Bisgaard H, O'Callaghan C, Smaldone GC, eds. Drug Delivery to the Lung. New York, NY: Marcel Dekker; 2002:105-142. Lenfant C, exec ed. Lung Biology in Health and Disease; vol 162.
12. ALVESCO [prescribing information]. Marlborough, MA: Sunovion Pharmaceuticals Inc; September 2011.
13. Berger WE, Kerwin E, Bernstein DI, Pedinoff A, Bensch G, Karafilidis J. Efficacy and safety evaluation of ciclesonide in subjects with mild-to-moderate asthma not currently using inhaled corticosteroids. Allergy Asthma Proc. 2009;30(3):304-314.
14. Meltzer EO, Korenblat PE, Weinstein SF, Noonan M, Karafilidis J. Efficacy and safety evaluation of ciclesonide in mild-to-moderate persistent asthma previously treated with inhaled corticosteroids. Allergy Asthma Proc. 2009;30(3):293-303.
15. Szefler S, Rohatagi S, Williams J, Lloyd M, Kundu S, Banerji D. Ciclesonide, a novel inhaled steroid, does not aff ect hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis function in patients with moderate-to-severe persistent asthma. Chest. 2005;128:1104-1114.
16. Kaiser/HRET Survey of Employer-Sponsored Health Benefits, 2000-2007.
ALVESCO, with its small particle size, reaches the
large and small airways to treat inflammation in
the lungs—the root of the problem.
Available in 2 strengths for convenient dosing
(80 mcg per actuation and 160 mcg per actuation)
Allows people to see remaining doses available
* Most insured patients will pay no more than $17 monthly with a maximum benefit of $75 per fill. Restrictions apply and co-pay amounts may vary. See full program rules and eligibility.